Monday, June 9, 2014

2012 Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe Travel Trailer Screen Door Slider

Think I have a solution to a cracked/broken screen slider. Have looked on line and even ordered two sliders from RVPlus.com that said their slider would fit the Casita odd size 12"x11-7/8". They were only $7.50 so I ordered two. They were made of recycled milk bottle material, so were very sturdy. They were the dimensions that they said...12"x11-7/8", but they were not flat, so they have a big gap that allows bugs in. I guess they might fit some screens but not our Casita.

Problem. The orginal clear acrylic slider was very brittle and cracked the first time the wind caught the door. The manufacturer couldn't keep up with replacing them or didn't try or changed the design, so I think lots of people out there either have cracked sliders or are making something else "do".

Solution: Went to my local plastics store in Portland, Or., that sells plastic by the sheet...Tap Plastics Inc, on Sandy Blvd. Tap Plastics stores are located throughout Washington, Oregon, and California. They cut me a piece of black ABS plastic (they also have white) 12"x11-7/8"x1/16. Had to square it off a tiny bit with a rasp, but it only cost me $1.85. Well, actually, there was a bit of extra cost, as I put a round wood drawer knob on the inside and used a piece of 1/2"x6"x1/2" "seaboard" I had left over from another project, as a stiffener on the inside...and 3 screws and fender washers. Oh, don't forget the cost of gas to/from...1 or 2 gallons. So, maybe I have $11.50 into it...and it works...and it's
durable.
After two years of "Happy Camping", this is the only thing on the trailer that has given us a problem. Loving my Casita.
Happy Trailering - Wichita

Add caption




No comments: